Friday, August 22, 2008

Patriotic: To be or not to be.... that is the question

So a friend of mine and I had a discussion the other day about patriotism. Its apparently been the new overused word since September 11th. Prior to Sept. 11th, patriotism was always seen as corny... and the greatest extent to most Americans patriotism was singing the national anthem (and trying to remember to take your hat off). Now a days its almost like we look for a reason to pick on someone for their lack of patriotism (ie. Obama and flag pin)

But what exactly is patriotism? Is it the constant extra dramatic use of flags everywhere or singing the Star Spangled Banner.. or is it simply pursuing the (White) American Dream. Pretty much... If you want to be "patriotic" in the U.S. you have to be a 65 year old, Christan, White man, with 2 kids, 2 cars, a 4 bedroom house surrounded by a white picket fence and 100K worth of debt. Is it possible at all to be Afrocentric or maintain any type of heritage/allegiance to another country and still being patriotic? Or.... here's a killer question? Can and should African Americans embrace patriotism given the past history of this country and the current condition and attitudes towards African Americans?

Personally....I'm torn on the issue. While I do appreciate the my freedom and rights, which took the blood, sweat, and tears of those civil rights leaders before me. I still find it hard to be an African American man and be "patriotic" at the same time. How can I "sing her praises won" when I know at any moment I can be pulled over for DWB (Driving While Black) and have the possibility of being shot, murdered, and stripped of these very liberties that I love and are frankly... rightfully mine (thanks to the blood, sweat, and tears of the 5 generations before me). How can I be patriotic when the foundation of this country is based on the same thing our soldiers are fighting against every single day.... TERRORISM!!! Yea.... that whole rob, steal, pillage, rape and kill of Native Americans.... not very patriotic. Or how about the fact that this country was founded by mostly criminals and deadbeats who deserted their own country, principles, and ideals, for a "pipe dream". Or better yet... how can I be patriotic when I know that millions of people are homeless in the street, thousands of children are in PISS POOR schools, don't have adequate health care, live in dangerous neighborhoods....... yet they do their patriotic duty by paying taxes, voting, and serving on jury duty. And what thanks does America do...... bend over and $%!& on the poor and minority families.

I dunno... the more I look at it.... it gets harder and harder. I guess I'll find some happy medium and try to be patriotic and VOTE this upcoming election. Hopefully a few things will change for the better. That's if McCain **cough** SATAN **cough** doesn't get elected.

On a brighter note.... I came across the smoothest version of the National Anthem ever sung. Posted below is the one and only, Marvin Gave at the All Star Game in 1983.

Enjoy


No comments: